Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It's (Gonna Be) a Girl!

...[F]ifteen years ago we took a trip to Egypt... Saw the Pyramids and Luxor and then headed up into the Sinai. We had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a cup of tea. And I'd go to pay them for the tea and they wouldn't let me. 'Abu el Banat' means 'Father of daughters.' They thought the tea was the least they could do."

- President Josiah Bartlet, "The West Wing"

My wife and I just found out that our first child, due March 27, will be a girl. I know already by the overwhelming feelings I am experiencing that I will love her like nothing I've ever loved, but along with this comes my belief -- accurate or not -- that opposite-sex parents shoulder a unique responsibility.

What I'm basically trying to say is this: I've got some preparing to do. Starting with watching Mean Girls when I get home tonight. There's a lot I don't know.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?