Thursday, September 06, 2007

NFL 2007 - Week 1

I don't want this blog to die, so, I figured if I made NFL picks every week, at least I'd stop by from time to time to post something once in a while. I'll pick every game out of morbid curiosity (we'll see if I can flirt with .500 over the course of the year), and then I'll pick out the five games I feel best about, and we'll see if I have a better winning percentage with those than I do in general.

Week 1 you may as well flip a coin, I figure, but, there a couple of games (Falcons/Vikings, Dolphins/Redskins) where I really wish I didn't have to pick anybody at all.

Also, since I absolutely rule at suicide pools, I'll give you a suicide pool pick every week.

[for those of you who don't know how suicide pools work, they're incredibly simple. Every week, you pick a team. If that team wins that week, you move on. If they lose, you're done, and your chances of winning the suicide pool are over. And once you've picked a team, you can't pick them again. Last man standing wins]

My picks are in bold:

SAINTS @ COLTS -6
GIANTS @ COWBOYS -5.5
BRONCOS @ BILLS +3
CHIEFS @ TEXANS -3
TITANS @ JAGUARS -6.5
FALCONS @ VIKINGS -3
PATRIOTS @ JETS +6.5
LIONS @ RAIDERS -1.5
EAGLES @ PACKERS +3
STEELERS @ BROWNS +4.5
BEARS @ CHARGERS -5.5
BUCCANEERS @ SEAHAWKS -6
PANTHERS @ RAMS -1
DOLPHINS @ REDSKINS -3
RAVENS @ BENGALS -2.5
CARDINALS @ 49ERS -3

The five I feel good (or, if not good, better than the others) about:
LIONS @ RAIDERS -1.5
BUCCANEERS @ SEAHAWKS -6
PANTHERS @ RAMS -1
RAVENS @ BENGALS -2.5
CARDINALS @ 49ERS -3

Suicide pick: Seahawks

Comments:
I don't want this blog to die, either, but I'll be damned if I'm going to understand what the hell any of this is about! (The suicide pool sounds fascinating though. Fairly standard football-pickery until you add that bit about you can't pick the same team twice. That's a positively captivating level of strategic insanity.)

Re: wishing one didn't have to pick either side, we watched the start of FSU vs. Clemson the other night, and I was saying the same thing. Everyone hates FSU; not sure if the same is true for Clemson or if it's just another of my irrational vendettas. But I told someone, "You hate to root for either team, really. What I'm rooting for is a dirty bomb attack on the stadium."

Which was marginally funnier a minute later when the field reporter came on to tell the story of an e-mail bomb threat from earlier in the day.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?