Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My Bracket

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: my 2007 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament bracket.

As I have done for the last, say, 17 years (except for 2005, when I was in Australia, where Selection Sunday doesn't get a lot of coverage), I sat down with nothing but a blank sheet of standard 8.5 x 11.5 white paper and a simple black rolling ball pen, and produced a bracket that looks like this:


(I included a dime for scale, for two reasons; 1) because including a dime for scale when one is completely unnecessary is funny, and 2) it's a tribute to one of the few incredibly funny jokes that Dr. Drew ever made on "Loveline")

Believe it or not, no rulers, straight-edges or protractors were used in producing this bracket; just a standard 8.5 x 11.5 white paper and a simple black rolling ball pen. Apologies do go out to Gonzaga, who ended up on the one line that ended up squiggly because my daughter happened to bang on the coffee table as I was putting this together.

Will this bode well for Gonzaga? Will the squiggly line bring and end to their recent string of underwhelming tournament performances? Only time will tell.

The other thing I'm really proud of, in addition to how kick-ass my bracket looks for being drawn completely freehand, is how I refuse to abbreviate the names of any of the schools (at least in the first round). I'm writing "Virginia Commonwealth," "Texas A&M Corpus Christi" and "Central Connecticut State" if it kills me. Of course, to fit a 64-team bracket on a single piece of paper you need to cut some corners, and it's for that reason that "George Washington," once it reaches the Sweet Sixteen, becomes "GW."

What are you gonna do?

My prediction: since this was the extremely rare year in which I have no money riding on the tournament, my picks will end up being extremely prescient and expert-like. Then next year, when someone again decides to organize an office pool, I'll crap the bed.

Comments:
You bastard! You and your dime were right about the Duke game. My family is in shambles...
 
Hey--whatever you do, stay the hell away from Yankee Doodle's during the Sweet 16!

And wow, I just listened to that episode on the Loveline Archive not three weeks ago. Creepy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?