Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Up For Grabs

Quick note: Michael Wranovics's fantastic documentary Up For Grabs, which follows the legal battle over the baseball Barry Bonds hit for his record-setting 73rd home run in 2001, airs on Spike TV at 11:00 p.m. tonight (I'll let you do your own time zone and TiVo math on that; it's on at 8:00 p.m. for me in California, is all I know). If tonight doesn't work for you (like it doesn't work for me), it's re-airing at 2:00 a.m. Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I've already written at length about how good this movie is, but let me just put up one excerpt of my previous review:

[I]f you don't know baseball, don't worry; one would have be completely ignorant not only about sports but about the news media, fame, the legal system and the influence of money on any and all of the above not to find something resonant in Up For Grabs.
Okay, one more:

[T]he film is packed with as many interesting characters as any work of fiction that's shown up on screen in several years. In fact, I would dare say that Up For Grabs deserves a place alongside The Natural, Field of Dreams and Major League among the most memorable of modern baseball movies.

Just trust me. Watch it if you can.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?