Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Leave It To Congress To Get Me To Defend the BCS

Here's one of those stories in which everyone involved just seems deserving of a wet willie: Congress is now apparently looking into college football's BCS system.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: nothing the government does after the Casey Martin case -- in which the Supreme Court decided it could dictate the rules of a sport to a professional sports association -- could possibly surprise me, but, that doesn't mean I can't think it's a giant waste of time and money.

The BCS is incredibly stupid and anyone who doesn't support a playoff in Division I-A college football is just plain wrong, but, what the hell business is it of Congress's?

House Subcommittee on Commerce Trade and Consumer Protection Chairman Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., if you're really that desperate to get your name in the paper, can't you just get caught taking bribes like Duke Cunningham?


Comments:
Oh, he will. Didn't you see that "R" in front of "Fla"? (har!)
 
Good to have you back! Are you telling me you wouldn't be behind a law demanding an (at least) 8 team playoff? Interstate commerce clause, my friend--this is absolutely within Congress's constitutional authority if it chooses to act, and even Justices Scalia and Thomas wouldn't bitch about it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?