Thursday, March 31, 2005

What Have We Learned?

Terry Schiavo has died, but the story isn't over. I hesitate to draw any specific conclusions or interpret any specific shifts in the nation's social consciousness from the Schiavo case because it's so unique; I suspect that this sort of thing goes on all over the country, and has gone on, and everybody's sad about it, and nobody involved is evil. The reason this case spurred debate and passion among so many people was because it was on TV.

So now we all know about it, we've all heard about it, read about it and talked about it; now the putative law of the land is that you can kill people even if they aren't terminally ill, and even if there's no iron-clad proof of their wishes. I'm not making a judgement on that, per se; I'm just pointing it out. I don't think the Schiavo case will open the floodgates of assisted suicide and the murder of undesirables, but, I think the gigantic leap from Terry Schiavo to the Groningen Protocol is slightly less gigantic than it was a month ago.

And, on a semi-related note: what's with Holland? Between Groningen and the issues arising from the Theo van Gogh situation, I propose we all resolve to keep a close eye on the Dutch.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?